Re: Re: CULT: pods

From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

On 1 Aug 99, at 16:01, Dennis Kramb wrote:

> From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
>
> >From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
> >
> >No, there will be one father - from the grain of pollen that fertilized
> >the ovary....no multiple fathers.
> >
> >Walter Moores
> >Enid Lake, MS 7/8
>
> For real?!?  I thought for sure you could get multiple fathers.  Otherwise
> why bother stripping off the falls of a flower to keep bees from
> "contaminating" it with their own pollen?  Wow...you learn something new
> every day!  :)
>
> Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
> Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6; AIS Region 6

	Over the years, I have on occasion accidentally pollinated the
same open flower with different pollenl especially when I was using
some green tags.  When I discovered the mistake, I immediately
made a notation in my records and also keep the same tags,
labels with the seedlings until they bloomed.  You could always tell
that the father was 'This' or 'That.'

	About stripping the falls off a pollinated flower, this is to make
sure your cross was true. . . . that you visited the flower before a
bumblebee.....or the pollen you used was not viable and the
bumblebee's was.  In my experience, this is not something to
worry about.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8

Congratulations DALMATIANRESCUE. Our latest ONElist of the week.
To see full story and submit YOUR ONElist story, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/ootw_19.html