Re: HYB: Multiple Pollinations

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

Now I'm a bit confused after Walter and Sharon seem to have
responded differently to the question.  To clarify what I was
thinking I should say I thought a different grain of pollen might
fertilize each chamber of the pod, there being three stigmatic
lips and three chambers in a pod.  Ergo a different pollen grain
from different pod parents per chamber perhaps.  I realized after
I posted that many people say it is only necessary to pollinate
one stigmatic lip and to get a full pod, so on thinking later decided
I might not have been thinking straight.

In short, I guess I need someone to explain a bit of biology to me
here.  Birds and bees - that sort of thing.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7 in re to the following previous posts wherein children
is now spelled correctly before Jan tells me how it should be.

>> Also practicing, I used
>pollen on BREAKERS from both YAQUINA BLUE and NAVAJO
>JEWEL on the same bloom.  This was the only TB x TB pod I got.
>If I plant these, it is likely there will be children from both pollen
>parents, isn't it? <
>
>Yes.  One pollen grain plus one egg cell = 1 seedling.
>
>Sharon McAllister

Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html
With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.