Re: HYB: Multiple Pollinations

From: IRISROT@aol.com

donald@eastland.net writes:

> Hello Folks,
>
>  Now I'm a bit confused after Walter and Sharon seem to have
>  responded differently to the question.  To clarify what I was
>  thinking I should say I thought a different grain of pollen might
>  fertilize each chamber of the pod, there being three stigmatic
>  lips and three chambers in a pod.  Ergo a different pollen grain
>  from different pod parents per chamber perhaps.  I realized after
>  I posted that many people say it is only necessary to pollinate
>  one stigmatic lip and to get a full pod, so on thinking later decided
>  I might not have been thinking straight.
>
>  In short, I guess I need someone to explain a bit of biology to me
>  here.  Birds and bees - that sort of thing.
>
>  Donald Eaves

Hi Donald,

I'm no expert but I have expereinced that you only get the seed in the
chambers you polinate. I pollinated 3 blooms this year marking the ones that
I had only put pollen on the stigmatic lip of one chamber...guess what? I
only had one chamber with seed. I also made sure I had plucked the falls just
to see if this was true. I'm not saying this wasn't a fluke but I personally
am beginning to believe we have a few myths we need to try and make an
accounting. Only my opinion which actually means very little..

                            Jim Loveland, Fenton, MO Zone 5

Congratulations to MICHELLE UNSER
This week’s FRIENDS&FAMILY WINNER!
To enter go to http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html