CULT: Drought measures

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

> From: Janet Yang <jyang1@home.com>
>
>     We just went on water restrictions here in CT. Of
> course, I'll be collecting gray water (bath & washing
> machine) to water plants, and there's mulch on the beds.
>     Question: If I cut back foliage by half, would that
> reduce the plants' need for water?
>
> Janet

   V. sez:
   It may - the idea of cutting the leaves back when
digging/transplanting bearded irises is that the plants
will lose less water through transpiration at a time when
they don't have established roots to take in as much water.
It may not be necessary, though - I know of one commercial
garden that never waters any bearded irises, including new
ones just planted in the garden.

===
Vince Lewonski
vincelewonski@yahoo.com
Secane, PA  Zone 6

"Here come Ol' Flattop!"

ONElist users:  YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how.
For details, go to http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html