Re: OT: Drought/vacation watering

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>I've got another problem: How to water my plants when we go away for >ten
>days. Now that we're on water restriction, my neighbor can't >water for us.
>I surely can't ask her to haul gray water over there.
>     Any suggestions?

Give everything as good a water as you can, before you go, and mulch heavily
with anything you have available, even newspaper, old rags, carpet scraps.
It can all be lifted off later. For anything particularly tender, you might
try using plastic bottles to provide a reservoir of water. Fill the bottle
with water, put the lid on, put a few small holes in the base, and bury the
base of the bottle beside the plant. Some people just up end the bottle and
plug it into the ground, but I find that the water drains out too quickly.
You could experiment with this before you go, if you have time. I always put
indoor plants in the bath, on a layer of towells, and run about 3 inches of
water. This will keep them more than happy for the 10 days.
Outdoor pot plants could be treated the same way - group them in a wading
pool, or rig up some plastic sheeting to hold a reservoir of water around
them for a few days. Keeping them in the shade will also help.
Hope you get some ideas from this,

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
For details on ONElistís NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY program, go to