HYB: Multiple Pollinations

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Message text written by Tom:
I'm not sure, and I'm not a doctor, but in human life, normally only one
sperm can fertilize and egg and the rest die off. Doesn't the flower have
only one female organ or egg that is funneled through the stigmas? I'm not
sure, do we have a botanist onboard. I'd like to hear an answer also.

VERY close.  Just as one human sperm can fertilize only one human  egg, one
pollen grain can fertilize only one iris egg.  But each ovary has MANY
waiting eggs.  The ones that are fertilized develop into seeds, the others
wither & die.

Sharon McAllister

Congratulations to MICHELLE UNSER
To enter go to http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html