Re: HYB: Muliple Pollinations

From: IRISROT@aol.com

tyerman@hotmail.com writes:

>  From my knowledge of botany, multiple style arms link to individual
>    In other flowers where there are multiple ovaries there is a carpel
>  segment for each ovary and these are directly linked.  From this I would
>  assume that each style arm for an iris would have to be linked to its own
>  ovary (i.e each style arm would be linked to just one of the 3 segments of
>  the seed pod).  This would be a single connection based on the makeup of
>  flower and there would be no crossing over of pollen between the ovaries
>  after contact with the stigmatic lip.
>  I'd heard myself that putting 3 different parents onto the different style
>  arms would produce seedlings with characteristics of all 4 parents.  I
>  hadn't thought anything of it until reading this conversation.  Now....
>  looking back at my botany training... it certainly doesn't seem possible
>  with the basic botanical structure.

I believe once a cross takes whether you pollenated one lip or all three it's
over. But what I was saying is you have to pollenate all three lips to have
seed in all three chambers. I do not believe once a cross is made and takes
that a bee can pollinate that flower again. Course I am not an expert. Why
don't we do an experiment next spring all of us pollinate 2 flowers but only
one lip but leave the iris petals on to see if you have seed in the other

                        Jim Loveland, Fenton, MO Zone 5

ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
For details, including our weekly drawing, go to