Re: 'recycled' water

From: karen von bargen <von2@ix.netcom.com>

Hi, All:
   Here's my little bit about recycled water:
   We have used it for about 12 years on our garden, laundry water, shower water, the works. It has never had any effect one way or another over fresh, unused water, so far as we can tell. I breifly lived in a place that had a big tank for collecting the laundry water then a pump system would spread it out over the vegetable garden. Some claim it will make your vegetables grow rampantly but as I said, I haven't seen such drama in the zuke beds.
  With regards to watering while you are away, you can buy a water timer and set up a sprinkler system. The kind of water timers I'm thinking about hook up to the hose bibb that comes out of the wall, none of this complicated panel in the garage type of thing. Water timers work one of two ways (that I know of): mechanically or electrically. Mechanical water timers measure the flow of water as it passes through the timer and shuts the water off after a certain specified amount of water or time has gone. They cost about $10 around here. In my experience, the time
feature on my mechanical timers is a fairly bad guide to go by. If I set the timer for 15 minutes, it's still going a half hour later. The flow of water through my sprinkers is less than the amount that the timer is calibrated for. In many cases, an electric timer may be a better bet. You can buy either a corded or battery powered timer and program it to go on for a certain period of time, at a certain time of day, for however many days a week you would want. These timers go for about $30 and are a good idea if you are having to keep close track of water usage.

    Just an idea to contemplate!

Karen von Bargen
Scotts Valley, CA on the Monterey Bay

ONElist:  home to the world's liveliest email communities.