CULT: Roots -- Shave/Not Shave

From: Judyhunt1@aol.com

Hello Talkers,

I would like to pose a question for discussion.  For the past three or four
years, we have been potting all rhizomes as our orders arrive in the summer.
My husband subscribes to the "unshaven root" theory.  He will trim them so
they will fit in the pot, but thinks that the old roots stabilize the rhizome
until new roots grow.  We have had a few rhizomes that have rotted before we
transferred them to the garden in the fall. These have had the same treatment
as the ones that did not rot -- no extra water, all kept in the same
location, etc.  My question: Could the old roots increase the likelihood of
"pot rot" (or even "garden rot") occurring?

Judy Hunt in Louisville, KY, where it is blessedly cooler -- high temp was
only 90 today!