HYB: Multiple Pollinations

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Jim Loveland wrote:

I believe once a cross takes whether you pollenated one lip or all three
it's
over. But what I was saying is you have to pollenate all three lips to have

seed in all three chambers. I do not believe once a cross is made and takes

that a bee can pollinate that flower again. Course I am not an expert. Why
don't we do an experiment next spring all of us pollinate 2 flowers but
only
one lip but leave the iris petals on to see if you have seed in the other
chambers. <

There is certainly a point at which the stigmatic lip is no longer
receptive.  I believe that is part age, part depletion of its juices by the
developing pollen tubes.  Another trick I have used to improve my chances
of getting a take is to cross onto only one style arm at a time with an
hour or two between crosses.  SAME pollen parent, though.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
For details on ONElistís NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY program, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html