HYB: Multiple Pollinations

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Paul Tyerman wrote:

>  I'd heard myself that putting 3 different parents onto the different
arms would produce seedlings with characteristics of all 4 parents.  I
hadn't thought anything of it until reading this conversation.  Now....
looking back at my botany training.... it certainly doesn't seem possible
with the basic botanical structure.

I hadn't heard that one, but from what I've learned of meiosis and
fertilization i must agree that it doesn't seem possible.

I think this is most likely to be a product of the fact you choose wide
crosses.  As far as I can see there should be no reason why this method
would be any more unsuccessful than putting one parent onto the three
stigmatic lips, given that they produce three totally separate sets of

Yes.  The success rate is comparable for the same type of cross when I've
used pollen from a single cultivar on all three stylearms.

Sharon McAllister

Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.