Re: CULT: Roots -- Shave/Not Shave

From: "Glenn Simmons" <glsimmon@swbell.net>

----- Original Message -----
From: wmoores <wmoores@watervalley.net>
To: <Judyhunt1@aol.com>; <iris-talk@onelist.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 1999 7:40 AM
Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Roots -- Shave/Not Shave

> From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
>
> .  My question: Could the old
> > roots increase the likelihood of "pot rot" (or even "garden rot")
> > occurring?
> >
> > Judy Hunt in Louisville, KY
>

> Judy, did you give these incoming irises the 10% bleach bath?
> 99.9% of your newly planted irises problems can be prevented with
> that dunk.
>
> Were these new pots or had something been grown in them
> previously, leaving a contaminant in the dirt?

Good point on the pots!  We reuse our pots but we wash used pots with a 10%
bleach solution just as we do the iris.  We scrub the pots with a brush and
the bleach solution then allow them to air dry before reuse.

We initially had some rot last year but that was because of the way we
potted, our pots held water.  We now mound the soil in the pot about 2
inches above the rim of the pot and all our pot rot has stopped.

> I really don't think the old roots are the problem.
>
> Walter Moores

Glenn

Glenn & Linda Simmons
mailto:glsimmon@swbell.net