RE: CULT: Drought measures

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

The main reason for cutting back foliage when transplanting is to reduce
transplant shock.  When transplanting, roots get damaged and therefore
cannot support all the foliage.  If you don't cut back the foliage, you will
see the foliage droop and perhaps even brown until new roots get
established.  The rule of thumb when repotting house plants in the same pots
is to trim the same amount of foliage as roots.

So in times of drought, cutting back the foliage should both reduce
transpiration and the smaller plant will not require as much nourishment.

Mulch will also reduce water requirements.

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4) -- where we are having a rare cool day so maybe we
can finish digging

> From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
>
> > >     Question: If I cut back foliage by half, would that
> > > reduce the plants' need for water?
> > > Janet
> > >
> >    V. sez:
> >    It may - the idea of cutting the leaves back when
> >digging/transplanting bearded irises is that the plants
> >will lose less water through transpiration at a time when
> >they don't have established roots to take in as much water.
> >It may not be necessary, though - I know of one commercial
> >garden that never waters any bearded irises, including new
> >ones just planted in the garden.
>
> I always understood that the leaves were cut back when transplanting, so
> that the rhizome wouldn't be so affected by wind. Wind blowing on the
> leaves
> causes the rz to rock in the soil, thus slowing down, or preventing the
> establishment of roots.
> I would leave the leaves alone in summer unless transplanting. TB's should
>
> survive with minimal watering. The reason I started growing them was their
>
> drought tolerance.
> Jan Clark

> ONElist members are using Shared Files in great ways!
> http://www.onelist.com
> Are you?  If not, see our homepage for details.

Transfer your big list to ONElist and earn $500!
For program details, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/biglistbon_intro.html