TB CULT in Florida

From: mlwayne@zoo.ufl.edu (Marta Wayne)

Hello,

I have recently moved to north central Florida.  I have a collection of
bearded iris from my grandmother that had to move with me.  In 1997 they
moved from her home in Kansas to North Carolina, where they did
spectacularly.  The following year I moved to Gainesville FL (sort of
between zones 8 and 9), where they sat sadly in an inappropriately shady
spot (the brightest in my yard) and grew a few leaves.  I have moved again
within Gainesville and they are now sitting in a box in the shade, being
kept moist, waiting to be transplanted (as of Saturday).  I know that they
do not do well down here, but I was wondering what I could do to help them
along.  My most immediate problem is what to do right now, given that their
permanent home is not ready yet because our house is still under
construction-- pot them, or put them in the ground realizing they may have
to move again next year, or what.   For example, should I vernalize them
and if so under what conditions; routinely dig them in the summer; how much
sun do they really want this far south; etc.  Their future home is sandy
soil on top of a ridge, either bright sun facing south or under some laurel
oak trees (dappled sun/shade) on the north side of the house.  Any tips you
can give me would be most appreciated.  The plants are dear to me, so I'm
willing to go to some trouble.

Thank you very much for your time!
Best wishes,
Marta

ONElist now brings ICQ Instant Messaging to members
For details,