Re: TB CULT in Florida

From: "Mark Cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

> I have recently moved to north central Florida.  I have a collection of
> bearded iris from my grandmother that had to move with me.  In 1997 they
> moved from her home in Kansas to North Carolina, where they did
> spectacularly.  The following year I moved to Gainesville FL (sort of
> between zones 8 and 9), where they sat sadly in an inappropriately shady
> spot (the brightest in my yard) and grew a few leaves.

     Welcome to Iris talk.  For the most part, TB Irises don't tend to do
well in Florida, but there is a chance you could get lucky with some of
them.  I brought some with me when I moved from Kentucky to Florida.  They
went into decline, so I sent them north.  Now, I have four excellent plants
of WINTERLAND that I am trying to grow.  I think I will put them in pots so
I can move them around as conditions warrant.  They will spend the winter in
the frostiest spot in the yard.
     I would recommend that you pot your Irises, and place them in a spot
that gets morning and/or evening sun, but is somewhat shady at mid-day.
About two weeks after potting, feed them with some Miracle Grow to give them
a boost.  Keep us posted on how they do.
     If you want to grow Irises, try some Louisianas.  They love Florida.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida        [about 41 miles from the Florida 121/Interstate 75

ONElist:  your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.