Re: HYB: Multiple Pollinations

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Sharon Mc. wrote:

>In fact, I quit making TB x TB crosses some years ago -- mostly >because it
>was too difficult to get seeds.  In my experience, full >pods were quite
>rare.  At least one empty chamber was the rule, even >when I pollinated all
>three stigmatic lips.
>Now, what if the controlling factor is environmental?

This is indeed food for thought Sharon. I had the same problem here with
TB's last season. Plenty of MDB and IB takes, but very few TB pods. I
presumed it was something to do with the hot, dry, windy weather. Why do you
get takes with your AB's? Are they less effected by the weather, or is it
because of your shade cloth shelters?
I shall have to try some way of protecting TB's from the drying wind
immediately after pollenation. Any suggestions? Would a paper bag placed
over the flower help?
I have grown a lot of TB's in pots this year - mainly the ones that I value
the most. It would not be difficult to move these around, even the larger
tubs. Perhaps a shady spot under a tree, or under the verandah, would be
conducive to seed formation.

Jan Clark, Australia

Transfer your big list to ONElist and earn $500!
For program details, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/biglistbon_intro.html