Re: CULT: Cutting Back Leaves

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>When I dig a clump, Of mine, I remove all dead or damaged leaves. I have
>the spot ready for where they are to be planted ready.  Then I break the
>clump up. The ones I am saving for my self get planted in the new spot. No
>dipping, root trimming. or trimming leaves. Just plant quickly and water
>in. Then water every other day as needed.....
>Mike Greenfield

I can't see any problem with this method. I try and shift small clumps with
a root ball (soil attatched) for minimum disturbance, and a good size root
ball anchors the plant in it's new situation.
I think Maureen and I are actually talking about different things. I
understood (or misunderstood?) that Janet Yang was being advised to trim
back the leaves on established clumps of TB's to decrease transpiration, and
reduce the plants' need for water. An established TB should be able to cope
with watering less than once a week, without much ill effect. They certainly
thrive in such conditions here, with our hot, dry, windy summers. Surely
cutting back the leaves would check the growth just as much, or more than a
scarcity of water?
Jan Clark, Australia

ONElist:  home to the world's liveliest email communities.