ADMIN:Discussion Topics and Subject Tags

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

It seems that is is time to remind everyone that there is a reason for the
list policies.

First of all this is a list for the discussion of iris topics and issues. If
something someone posts something that triggers a thought on another subject
and you feel a reply surging within you, please send it privately to those you
think would be interested. The OT: subject tag is not intended for the
wholesale dicussion of anything that happens to come to mind. With a list this
size, there will always be a small number of folks that would like to talk
about virtually any issue, by the same token such a list would have a lot more
messages to wade thru daily. The raison d'etre of this list is irises. Lets
try to keep to that subject.

Equally important to what you post is how you post it. The key that allows
individuals to discriminate what they want to read and what they choose to
skip over is the subject line and its Subject Tag. Starting out with the right
ones is important, but changing the subject line on a reply that wonders far
afield of the original post is equally important.

Additionally, Subject tags are used to help subscribers who use filters to
sort their mail.

Subject Tags are used to preface the subject lines of the messages you send to
the list.

Use only the Subject Tags contained in the list sent out in the Welcome
Message that you got when you subscribed to iris-talk (You DID read it didn't
you? - And maybe printed it out for reference?)  I have also included the list
below. Print it out for future reference.

The format is the tag in ALL CAPS, followed by a colon (:), followed by your
subject. (no space between the subject tag and the colon)

[Subject tag]:[your subject description]

The colon is a very important part of the tag. No other separator are allowed there

For instance:

REB: Mariposa Skies in California

Would be a proper Subject Tag and subject line

Reb-Mariposa Skies in California

would *NOT* be a proper tag (the tag is not in all caps and contains a "-"
instead of a ":" as a seperator)

Remember it is ok to fix a Subject Tag when you "Reply", and to change the Tag
and subject if your reply is wondering far afield of the original subject.

Don't forget to cut out all that unnecessary text from your replies.

If you are having any trouble with any of this, please contact me directly at:

jijones@ix.netcom.com

Thanks

John

 TAG    Used For
----   --------

 TB:    tall bearded irises
 MED:   median and dwarf bearded irises
 AR:    arilbred and aril irises
 SIB:   Siberian irises
 LA:    Louisiana irises
 JI:    Japanese irises
 SPU:   spuria irises
 PCN:   Pacific coast native irises
 BULB:  bulb irises (Dutch, reticulatas, Junos)
 SPEC:  iris species (particularly those not covered in another category)

 REB:   reblooming irises
 SA:    space-age irises
 HIST:  historic irises and history of iris development

 CULT:  culture
 HYB:   hybridizing
 REF:   references (books and society publications)
 SHOW:  iris shows and related topics
 IRC:   IRC chat sessions (currently Friday nights)
 AIS:   American Iris Society business and issues
 PHOTO: iris photography
 COMP:  iris-related computer topics (record keeping, photo digitizing, etc.)
 CAT:   iris catalogs and discussion of commercial nurseries
 AD:    iris-related advertisement (ads not related to irises are *not*
 welcome!)

 OT-PLANTS: other garden plants (not irises)
 OT-ART:    iris-motif art and craftwork
 OT-HUMOR:  iris-related humor
 OT-CHAT:   personal messages and conversation (consider taking it off-list!)
 OT-BIO:    introduction from a new subscriber (please follow with your name)

 ADMIN:    Reserved for list owner

We are now over 340 members and continuing to grow. It is a great list capable
of helping everyone from novices to experts with all sorts of problems. Ask
that iris question that has been haunting you, someone out there, in a similar
growing environment (a very important aspect of any answer), will probably
have the answer.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS

Subscribe to iris-talk at:

Subscribe to iris-photos at:

ONElist members: don't miss out on the latest news at ONElist
Join our community member news update at