Re: ADMIN:Discussion Topics and Subject Tags

At 07:57 AM 8/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
>From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
>
>Equally important to what you post is how you post it. The key that allows
>individuals to discriminate what they want to read and what they choose to
>skip over is the subject line and its Subject Tag. Starting out with the right
>ones is important, but changing the subject line on a reply that wonders far
>afield of the original post is equally important.
>

>Additionally, Subject tags are used to help subscribers who use filters to
>sort their mail.
>
>Subject Tags are used to preface the subject lines of the messages you send to
>the list.
>
>Use only the Subject Tags contained in the list sent out in the Welcome
>Message that you got when you subscribed to iris-talk (You DID read it didn't
>you? - And maybe printed it out for reference?) I have also included the list
>below. Print it out for future reference.

John -
To underline the importance of subject tags, if anyone is seeking an older post in the archives, all posts are listed only by months and subject tags. If the topic strays from the original subject and the tag isn't changed, one can spend a lot of time bringing up posts which are off topic, or just simple comments like, "I agree", which probably should be sent offlist.

Instead of printing out this entire longish post, I recommend highlighting the subject tags, copying them to the desktop, pasting them to a word processor file and saving for future reference, then printing out from there to save about two pages, and have something that will be recognizable.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net
Webmaster: