Re: CULT: Roots -- Shave/Not Shave

At 11:11 PM 8/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
>From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
The
>implication being that unless you have a real reason to shave roots (like you
>are a commercial grower and have 10's of thousands to plant) it is probably
>better to leave the roots on because the plant starts getting nurishment
>sooner.
>

>John | "There be dragons here"

I seriously doubt a commercial grower with thousands to deal with can spend the time or money with this process.
Even if you only have a hundred or so, it allows you to start the biggest rhizomes in 3 qt. pots, saving a bundle in potting soil and other mixings.

In warm climates, like East Tennessee (here I am going into theory) by forcing your rhizome to go into root growing mode during the heat of August, it may slow the emergence of vegetation, thereby causing less frost damage later on. Shave, or not shave, potting for sure allows you a much freeer hand in laying out what you want to plant and when you want to do it.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net
Webmaster: