TB: Colorful Foliage

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 8/6/1999 11:31:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
suttons@lightspeed.net writes:

<< The foliage is
 incredible.  Almost black at the base, lightening slightly as it
 moves upwards.  The rhizome that we received had no green on the fans at
 all.  >>

Hi Mike...  I have not been able to barely read or reply (till people want to
scream) to much  iris-talk mail lately due to a heavy workload - but as I sip
my coffee this morning, this caught my eye.

If we're to live with the foliage when the iris isn't blooming, seems to me
the least it could do is be perky and clean.  But BONUS if there is some
interest!  Nothing like a good PBF (purple based fan) to bring interest to
the iris garden, and if you can throw in a tinge of red (maybe the best
chance we have for red in irises is in the foliage) or white, so much the
better.

Chuck Chapman, has a FABULOUS tri-colored foliage tall called CANADIAN
STREAKER.  Not only is there a dark purple base, but the foliage is heavily
streaked with white.  And it's NOT related to pallida.

Now is a wonderful time to check out the foliage of your irises.....  and
think about this:  an iris flower lasts for under a month...... so for the
other 11 months, you need something that at worst is not revolting - and at
best is a true asset to the garden!

(I was going to draw a comparison abut marrying for looks rather than
character, but THAT'S a slippery slope of a metaphor......)

Kathy Guest in E. Aurora, NY where the hospital where I work is having it's
big golf fund-raiser on Monday, and guess who is the workerbee and whose eyes
cross when someone starts going on about bogies and birdies and so on

You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com!
If you join ONElistís FRIENDS & FAMILY program.  For details, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html