Re: TB: Colorful Foliage

From: "Paul Tyerman" <tyerman@hotmail.com>

>Chuck Chapman, has a FABULOUS tri-colored foliage tall called CANADIAN
>STREAKER.  Not only is there a dark purple base, but the foliage is heavily
>streaked with white.  And it's NOT related to pallida.

If only it was available in Australia.  I doubt it, but I'll have a look
around to find out.  Thanks for the information!!  :-)

>Now is a wonderful time to check out the foliage of your irises.....  and
>think about this:  an iris flower lasts for under a month...... so for the
>other 11 months, you need something that at worst is not revolting - and at
>best is a true asset to the garden!

This is a really good point.  I have two non-TB irises in my garden that I
have planted for exactly that.  They are Iris pseudacorus variegata and iris
"Gerald Darby".  The variegated is actually only variegated as it shoots
after its winter dormancy, and the "Gerald Darby" has a purple base to the
foliage, but the new shoots are completely deep purple.  I have the I.
pseud. variegata planted in front of the Gerald Darby.  This gives a new
foliage in spring which has wonderful vertical white and green flanked by
dark purple.  I don't mind the flowers, but these two were planted where
they are specifically for the new foliage as they first shoot.  It really
looks effective.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman (Canberra, Australia...... where we've had severe frosts for
the last week which means that spring shouldn't be long now.  The Galanthus
are up, the fritillarias are starting and I. "Katherine Hodgkin" should open
tomorrow and the I. reticulatas should be open within the next week.
Yeah!!!)