OT: ISD Sale & Theresa's adventure

From: "Rusty Thornsburg" <rtburg@hotmail.com>

Theresa accidentally posted to the list, which I'm sure some of you *do*
mind but it was a great relief to hear from her for those of us who were

You see, the Iris Society of Dallas held its first sale of the year today,
outside (thankfully in the shade) at a local nursery.  I arrived at about
7:45 am to find Theresa already waiting.  She'd made the long drive from
Wolfe City (I have NO IDEA where it is, except that it's not part of the
metroplex...) to come to our sale.  I was impressed.

Folks, it got up to and past 100 degrees (the high was supposed to be 105)
and Theresa stuck with us up to the closing moments of the sale, and for
good reason-- she joined the Iris Society of Dallas today!  She even helped
tear down afterwards.

I don't know how we did fiscally, but as far as recruiting went, we scored.
I personally signed up 2 new members and a family.  For the Dalls club.  AIS

Anyway, after it was all said and done, we headed off to our respective cars
and I was just about to drive off when I remembered something I needed to
tell our Prez-- so I rushed across the parking lot to catch her before she
drove off.  And here comes Theresa.  She has a flat tire.  And not a flat
that you can fill up with air and get to the nearest service station.  She
had a flat that left the bottom of her tire's rim somewhere right UNDER the
kalichi rocks in the parking lot.

Having blown out one of my own tires recently (at 11:30 pm on a two-lane
rural road, no less), I was happy (maybe prepared would be a better word) to
help.  We recruited Seann Perry (the only other under-35 member of the club
present) and, under proper adult supervision, we changed that tire in what
had to have been an olympic speed record.  For those of you who aren't
familiar with the heat retention properties of kalichi, well, count your

So we sent Theresa on her way (after giving her my cell phone # in case her
SPARE went flat) and I anxiously waited to make sure that our new member
made it back safely.  So I, for one, was relieved when she posted to let
y'all know she's alive.  And after the sale this morning, that's something
to celebrate.  If we weren't so darn tired.

A book I never read: "The Attention Deficit Disorder Association Presents
The Wildlife of Amer-- hey, what's that over there?"