OT-SALES

From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

I see posts of society sales and activities relating thereto in this
endless, hot summer of 1999.  Our local society has had two
outdoor sales for the last two week-ends, and I think we have done
quite well for our little society, making enough money to foot the
bills for our various activites for another year.  Let me tell you that
the asphalt on the Wal Mart parking lot can really get hot!

At one of our sales a conversation arose regarding the amount of
money in the treasury that keeps the society in the tax-free, non-
profit status.  No one had a clue, and then, since some of us had
been members of larger, more established societies in years past,
there were statements to the effect that some societies had
balances in their treasuries in the tens of thousands of dollars.
And, in several regional bulletins/newsletters, we see double that
amount in Regional reports.  These societies could go for years
and not have a sale for operating purposes.  And, over the years,
these treasury balances just seem to increase.  Does the IRS take
note of this?  Is there a limit to how much money a society can
have and not pay taxes?

Anyway, to the point of all of this.....how could we encourage the
use of this money that appears in these reports?  How could the
societies, Regions be encouraged to contribute some of their
obvious surplus to worthy iris causes like:

	Recruitment (have color Invitation to Join AIS Ads) in various
gardening magazines with national circulation

	Machine Readable Check-list

	AIS Library

	AIS operating fund

	to name a few.

It seems there is iris money out there galore sitting idle if we just
knew how to re-route it.

In conclusion, the above was a topic of conversation at a sale, and
I thought it was interesting.

What do others talk about at your sales?

Walter Moores,
Cub Reporter
Enid Lake, MS 7/8
                                                      --30--

Transfer your big list to ONElist and earn $500!
For program details, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/biglistbon_intro.html