Re: OT-SALES

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

wmoores wrote:

> From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

> At one of our sales a conversation arose regarding the amount of
> money in the treasury that keeps the society in the tax-free, non-
> profit status.  No one had a clue....
> Is there a limit to how much money a society can
> have and not pay taxes?

As I understand it, there is not a hard and fast limit, but the
paperwork gets a lot more complicated if the balance goes over $25,000.
My club (San Fernando Valley) has had $15,000-19,000 in the bank for a
few years with no problems. That's somewhere in the range of two or
three years' operating expenses (6 to 8 of our monthly programs are
out-of-town speakers).

> Anyway, to the point of all of this.....how could we encourage the
> use of this money that appears in these reports?  How could the
> societies, Regions be encouraged to contribute some of their
> obvious surplus to worthy iris causes like:
>
>         Recruitment (have color Invitation to Join AIS Ads) in various
> gardening magazines with national circulation, Machine Readable > Check-list, AIS Library, AIS operating fund...

All worthy causes. The dire straits of AIS seem to have passed, but with
more $$ they could offer more items at ~ cost rather than feeling a need
to make a profit on almost everything (and/or they could fund more
research on borer control, scorch, ...).

> It seems there is iris money out there galore sitting idle if we just
> knew how to re-route it.

Many clubs, including mine, feel antsy without a nest egg for hard
times. I think most/many/some agree that we have more than we "need" but
getting a consensus on a cause to support is more difficult.

Each club could do something smallish, but if all agreed there could be
$50,000 - 100,000 or even quite a bit more available.

> In conclusion, the above was a topic of conversation at a sale, and
> I thought it was interesting.

Me, too!

> What do others talk about at your sales?

Think we'll ever get some rain, I need more rebloomers, what's doing
well for you, ....

Gerry, former prez of SFVIS, in Los Angeles

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
       NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR.
Apply online today!                http://www.onelist.com/ad/nextcard1