From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 8/8/1999 2:58:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wmoores@watervalley.net writes:

<< At one of our sales a conversation arose regarding the amount of
 money in the treasury that keeps the society in the tax-free, non-
 profit status >>

Hi Walter.....

Provocative post you sent regarding local versus national iris treasuries.
I'm sure you're going to get lots of responses.... and an equal amount of
deletes.  FWIW, first of all, I do not think there's a limit on how much
money a tax-exempt organization can accumulate - witness such things as the
hospital where I work that has millions in various funds.  The difference is
that after you accumulate somewhere over $20,000, you have to report your
treasury on an IRS form 990 (<-- I believe that's correct).

As to the need to accumulate and raise money in a local organization, this
totally depends on how active the local is and what their plans are.  After
all, isn't money freedom in a way of speaking?  The freedom to fund speakers
and Judges Training, to bring in Aquisition plants and expand your library?
Our local club raises a reasonable amount at our two sales each year, but a
portion of that goes to the region (by policy), and the rest turns over
pretty quick.  When we're flush, we sponsor speakers and do other great
things to benefit our membership.  When we're not, we get creative.

As to the suggestion that AIS somehow tap these local treasuries, I think
that falls under "are you out of your mind!!!!?????!!!!!"    Of course, I
mean that in a nice way.

Actually, what I mean to say is that I think AIS could do a better job of
ENCOURAGING donations for various special projects.  But as far as attaching
treasuries.... no way, Jose.

AIS has lots of worthy and important projects that are starved for funding.
If you're a member of AIS, check out the Bulletin.  Off the top of my head

The AIS Library
The Bee Warburton medal fund
The Foundation
The Scientific Fund

and any other number of worthy causes.

Furthermore.....  when a local club has oodles of cash, seems to me that it's
up to one of us to look at that and determine where our priorities are and
propose that a donation be made to that end.  For example:  my club feels
very strongly about the Electronic Checklist project - so we made a
restricted donation to AIS for that purpose.

It should be remembered, finallly, that if a club hopes to be able to host a
Board meeting, section convention or national convention, it needs a large
treasury.....  so perhaps those clubs with the large treasuries have that in
mind - OR maybe that's something that could be proposed when a treasury get

Kathyguest..... who will spend the day today with 144 dudes in bad clothes,
yelling things about bogies and birdies and such, in E. Aurora, NY

Transfer your big list to ONElist and earn $500!
For program details, go to