From: Judyhunt1@aol.com

Timely subject, Walter.

Our club is in the process of deciding what to do with some of the excess
funds in our treasury.  After reading what one of the California clubs (San
Francisco, I think) has in reserve, ours is evidently not so large, after all!

It is our policy to donate ten percent of our sale proceeds to our region.
We also have speakers come from out of state once or twice a year.  We are
building a library collection for the club, adding several reference books a
year.  Now, we are proposing that the club donate several more "World of
Irises" books to our local public library system so that it will be available
in about twelve more branches.  Also, we are proposing to fund an annual
scholarship to the local technical college for their horticulture school.
These proposals are to be brought before the membership at our upcoming
meeting, so I will know definitely what we will be doing after the 21st.

We have had several years of excellent sale proceeds.  This year was the
first in at least eight or ten years that we did not surpass the previous
year's sale income by a significant amount.  Most of us attribute this year's
results to the terrible heat and drought we have had for weeks.  Not too many
people are thinking about adding more plants to their gardens -- except for
us iris addicts, of course!

We certainly need to keep some padding in our treasury in the event we have a
very bad sale year in the future, but I don't think it is a good idea for any
club to keep thousands upon thousands of dollars squirreled away.  After all,
we are not in this to make money -- we are "nonprofit" groups.  And, in some
clubs in which I have been involved (not iris), overblown treasuries have led
to much strife within the organization.  Power struggles are really ugly.

My two cents worth...
Judy Hunt in Louisville, KY

ONElist now brings ICQ Instant Messaging to members
For details,