Re: OT-SALES (and budgeting)

From: "R. Dennis Hager" <rdhager@dmv.com>

> Anyway, to the point of all of this.....how could we encourage the
> use of this money that appears in these reports?  How could the
> societies, Regions be encouraged to contribute .....

Thanks for starting this thread. The continued success of any
organization is dependent on good financial management. Having too much
money can be just as threatening to an organization's health as not
having enough. More importantly, the method of amassing and disposing of
assets that the organization uses must be agreed upon and communicated
to the membership. The best way of doing that is with a budget. I am
involved in the budget for three organizations. They are diverse,
including one non-profit, one for-profit and one governmental
organization. For all three, the budgetary process is similar, but the
for-profit budget is much more flexible. (A few years ago, "flex
budgeting" was one of the favorite terms being thrown around business

A budget is simply a listing of the expectations of the organization. If
an organization does not have a budget, it ends up having many
budgets--one list of expectations for each member! If those budgets
(which are usually stored in the back of the head) do not agree, the
organization is in trouble. The best way to avoid that is to put it on
paper and share it with all the members.

Many books have been written about budgeting. The ones that I have seen
are boring, but if you aren't sure how to tackle a budget, I would
recommend forcing yourself to read it--for the sake of the club.

Now, back to irises.

R. Dennis Hager
on Delmarva, where the drought is so bad, that even the TB's are looking