OT:How to Misname Irises

From: StorYlade@aol.com

Hi All,

Just had a phone call that I thought might interest some of you, especially
those fighting with misnamed irises. The lady that lives in (rents) my old
house (in Alvaton where I hybridized irises for 10 years) just called to tell
me she still gets my mail all the times--every day she says.  (So much for
putting in a change of address AND you can't tell people you don't know are
going to write to that address)

Within a week after I moved, the church, the new owners, mowed the irises
flat and showed every indication they intended to keep them that way.  BUT,
the interesting thing is they let the irises come back and bloom this spring
(I didn't go out to see--too painful).

The woman said people came from miles around this year--several other
towns--and dug irises.  Only one large group (800) were registered irises.
Most were seedlings. There were nearly two acres filled with irises so there
are plenty left for next year, if they let them grow.

The reason I'm writing?  Most of these irises are not registered irises and
can never be found in any book.  Many are from my first crosses, planted as
seedlings in the mid-to late 80's, transplanted to new homes in 89, and still
surviving. (Many old form rebloomers among them.) These irises have bright
and distinctive colors and are healthy, strong growers, seen as beautiful by
those not as involved as irisarians.  I am told a lot of digging took place
in this group of beds.  (A lot of children from Corn Harvest, Immortality,
Autumn Encore, etc.)

How many of these will wind up in someone's garden 5 or 10 years down the
road with identification problems?  How lost is this cause?

Betty from Bowling Green who is up way too early for someone with a night

Congrats to our GROW TO GIVE winners, ZENtertainment & ROTInews!
Check out ONElist's latest program, FRIENDS & FAMILY.  See homepage.