Re: OT:How to Misname Irises

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 08/10/1999 9:50:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
cris@netcom.ca writes:

<PS Where is Bowling Green? I assume that is the name of a city/town
somewhere?>  Bowling Green is in Kentucky, continental USA.

<< Betty this situation you describe is now out of your hands and beyond your
 control. Now what I do see here is that you have contributed somewhat
 inadvertently to the promotion of the iris flower.  >>

Chris, most of my contributions have been quite deliberate rather than
inadvertent.  My love for the irises is legend.  (In my own mind, at least.)
In the beginning, people drove off the highway and swarmed my yard.  Then
they grew accustomed to the sight. The fields began to expand as I
hybridized.  Many people knew where I lived because of the irises . . .
though few knew my name.  Two acres of irises in bloom make quite an
impression.

Although, church people did dig the irises, many others, perhaps former
customers, heard of my move and also came to harvest the fields.  The lady,
who called, is a church member there and many of the people who came to dig
were strangers to her.  Many customers knew which were seedlings and which
were introduced iris.

The point I was trying to make here (I didn't do a good job) was:  "it is
almost impossible to name an unnamed iris". (This is only one of the reasons.}

Many misidentified irises MAY never have been introduced--like my seedlings
that were dug this spring.  I've sold seedlings as landscape iris in the
past--a tradition learned from other hybridizers.  However, people knew these
irises had no commercial value other than landscaping.  And no names.  (But
what about others that might receive those irises later on?)

I would think this clouds the issue with historic irises, etc?  Anner?

Betty in Bowling Green, KY