HYB: 1st year results

From:	dkramb@badbear.com (Dennis Kramb)

This is my first year of pollen daubing.  I hesitate to call myself a
hybridizer because little-to-no planning went into my crosses.  The
beardless are not all harvested yet.  Anyhooo, here's the results so far:

BEARDLESS:
 22: Iris fulva "red" x Iris fulva "Marvell Gold"
  ?: "Marvel Gold" x "Marvell Gold"
  ?: Iris versicolor "light blue" x Iris virginca var. shrevei "light blue"
  ?: Iris virginica var. shrevei "light blue" x Iris versicolor "light lue"

BEARDED:
 10: Alene's Other Love x ?????
 48: Alene's Other Love x ?????
 34: Alene's Other Love x ?????
 10: Alene's Other Love x Andromache (the seeds are VERY scrawny)
 57: Alene's Other Love x Jade Stone
 20: Alene's Other Love x Jade Stone
 57: Alene's Other Love x Jade Stone
 56: Alene's Other Love x Little Showoff
 49: Alene's Other Love x Squiddler
  4: Alien Mist x Fourteen For Rachel
 15: Alien Mist x Fourteen For Rachel
 45: Alien Mist x Satan's Mistress
 24: Alien Mist x Thornbird
 40: Be Happy x Little Showoff
 36: Be Happy x Squiddler
 42: Before The Storm x Autumn Orangelite
  8: Dark Crystal x Darkside
 15: Dark Crystal x Darkside
 37: Destry Rides Again x Thornbird
 43: Ditto x Sparkplug
 24: Doozey x Little Showoff
  9: Esther The Queen x Satan's Mistress
  4: Fourteen For Rachel x Satan's Mistress
 15: Gideon Victorious x Satan's Mistress (my 2nd favorite cross!)
 19: Gray Poupon x Alene's Other Love
 11: Green Eyed Sheba x Jade Stone
 19: Green Eyed Sheba x Uriah The Hittite (pollen frozen from October 1998)
  4: Irish Doll x ?????
  8: Irish Doll x Alene's Other Love
  1: Irish Doll x Hey There
 59: Jade Stone x ?????
 33: Jade Stone x Gray Poupon
 41: Jade Stone x Spark Plug
 56: Jade Stone x Squiddler
 51: Jade Stone x Squiddler
 52: Jade Stone x Squiddler
 20: Jewel Baby x Sparkplug
  7: JJ's Unknown x ?????
  4: JJ's Unknown x Sparkplug
 36: Kent's Unknown x ?????
 18: Kent's Unknown x ?????
 24: Kent's Unknown x Before The Storm
 46: Kent's Unknown x Esther The Queen
 51: Kent's Unknown x Esther The Queen
 35: Kent's Unknown x Esther The Queen
 32: Kent's Unknown x Fourteen For Rachel
 19: Kent's Unknown x Fourteen For Rachel
 35: Kent's Unknown x Satan's Mistress
  2: Landlord's Unknown Brown x ?????
  8: Little Showoff x Doozey
 22: Maya Mint x Hey There
 40: Maya Mint x Jade Stone
 24: Mini Champagne x ?????
  6: Not Celeste Azul x Before The Storm
  2: Omar's Torch x Fourteen For Rachel
  6: Satan's Mistress x Before The Storm (my favorite cross!)
 35: Satan's Mistress x Esther The Queen
 31: Satan's Mistress x Esther The Queen
 40: Sparkplug x Alene's Other Love
 13: Sparkplug x Ditto
 10: Sparkplug x Maya Mint
 56: Squiddler x Jade Stone
 38: Squiddler x Little Showoff
 25: Stingray x Esther The Queen
 23: Stingray x Esther The Queen
108: Thornbird x Autumn Orangelite (had the most seeds of all my pods!)
 92: Thornbird x Destry Rides Again
 11: Thornbird x Fourteen For Rachel
 55: Thornbird x Squiddler
 71: Thornbird x Superstition
  6: Zipper x Alene's Other Love

So if you actually read through the whole list and got to the bottom
without deleting, you will probably be interested to know that I harvested
a grand total of 2,107 seeds from my bearded crosses (out of 70 pods, means
an average of 30 seeds per pod).  And I hope to obtain another 100-200
seeds from my beardless crosses.  Not to mention the 600 or so potted
seeds/seedlings that I obtained from SIGNA and Christy and Heather and
Sterling and Pat and others!  :)

That's a lot of seeds!  And actually, I fear that I've misplaced some seeds
as well, for I distinctly remember 4 seed pods on "Not Celeste Azul" but
when I flip through my seed packs, I can only find one.  So somewhere
floating around the house are half a dozen seed packs which will hopefully
turn up again.  (I remember having them on my computer desk, but now they
are not there.  Hmmm...)

A lot of them have "?????" as the pollen parent.  These are NOT bee pods,
but rather the tags were so faded that I couldn't read the names.  Next
year I'll have to use a better technique.

I got a couple of wide spec-x seed pods too, but I'm not mentioning those
until I know for sure the seeds are viable and truly authentic.

Not bad for a first-timer!

Dennis (whose computer is still in the fix-it shop)

ONElist:  home to the world's liveliest email communities.