HIST: Cemetery Iris

From: Karen Jellum <7kjellum@3rivers.net>

I originally joined the iris list so I could post a question to the historic
section and have since gotten into all kinds of trouble by becoming
interested in all sorts of other iris.

However, back to the cemetery iris which was planted in 1919 and has
survived drought (an isolated prairie cemetry), cattle, and numerous other
hazards.   A number of listers thought it was pumila atroviolacea.  Today I
got to dig a clump from a small piece of rhizome  that had been brought to
town and had increased nicely.  I noticed something distinctive which may
help with the identification.  Each iris has a purple dot, not on the
foliage itself, but on the top part of the white (for want of a better term
"bulb") which is at the base of the foliage and on top of the rhizome.  Is
it significant for identification?????

I have ordered pumila atroviolacea to grow next to it.  Now, this clump
really needed dividing, and I have lots of iris.  I want to increase them to
take back to the three or four cemeteries.  Is it best just to plant them in

I hope to plant these in the morning.

ONElist now brings ICQ Instant Messaging to members
For details,