RE: CANADIAN STREAKER

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

Hi Rosalie,

CANADIAN STREAKER has made it across the border.  We carried a piece of it
across the border to the WNYIS auction and a few people in that club had
ordered it also (I know because we delivered their orders.)  Perry Dyer also
has it. (I don't if his e-mail is fixed yet though.)

The genealogy is very interesting.  To date, the popular view had been that
the pod parent should have variegated foliage to produce some offspring with
variegated foliage.  This cross proves otherwise.  Moreover, the parents are
irises that have been around for a while.  You would think that someone had
made this cross before, particularly as whites have always been popular.

Does anyone know if variegated foliage was actually unpopular as opposed to
benign disinterest in foliage?

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)

> From: RYFigge@aol.com
>
> When I readwhat IRriisborer said about CANADIAN STREAKER having such
> interesting foliage,  I decided I wanted it.  I like  things that are
> different whether jewelry or plants  I mentioned this to Joan Roberts and
> said I was sorry it had to cross the border, that seemed so complicated --
>
> and she became interested and decided to see what could be in its
> genealogy
> that would produce such . ---------   And this is what she faxed me, and I
>
> decided to share it with you, it is a long quote:    "A charmed cross for
> Chuck Chapman, CANADIAN STREAkER, is most hybridizers dream cpme true/
>
> It is not true that CANADIAN STREAKER (Chapman '07) is not related to
> pallida."  Since Joan is also intersted in variations, she traced the
> parentage of CUP RACE, (the pod parent) back to pallida.  To continue with
>
> her quote:    " Granted, it did not say pallida variegata, but chances are
>
> good that variegeta was in there ::
> CUP RACE X LACED COTTON
> CUP RACE  (Bluebird Blue x  South Pacific)
> BLUEBIRD BLUE   (Helen McGregor x Cahokia)
> SOUTH PACIFIC (Cahokia x Lady Ilse)
> HELEN McGREGOR - (Pirissima X Cloud Castle )
> CAHOKIA  -  no parentage mentioned in the '49 book
> LADY ILSE - (Jane Phillips X Keene Valley)
> PURISSIMA - (Argentina x Conquistador)
> CLOUD CASTLE - (Sensation x Gloriole)
> ARGENTINA - (Caterina X mesopotamica)
> CATERINA - (cypriana X pallida) *** "
>
> Hope someone finds this interesting - Genealogy,   is interesting and
> useful,
>  whether for the mice in my husband's cancer research lab,  - thru iris
> families  - and especially my own

Congrats to our GROW TO GIVE winners, ZENtertainment & ROTInews!
http://www.onelist.com
Check out ONElist's latest program, FRIENDS & FAMILY.  See homepage.