TB: I. pallida variegeta

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Roslie wrote about the ancestry of CANADIAN  STREAKER and I won't
	quote the whole post here but I was interested to see that HELEN
	McGREGOR and also CLOUD CASTLE figure in the line. These were
	hybridized by Dr. Robert Graves of Concord, NH (Zone 4)...this
	adds to the hardiness for those of us in cold climes.

	I grew I. pallida (Aurea) for several years in Zone 3 and it
	not only was lovely and hardy, it broke the rules about bearded
	irises. It was not planted in a raised bed and had an overgrown
	peony and also an invasive Siberian iris (Caesar's Brother)
	crowding it out and giving it shade. I was worried the first
	year when the soil around it was almost always moist...but
	that is the way my garden is almost all the growing season.

	It ignored the conditions and did itself proud...blooming a
	blue (no pun intended) streak every year and increasing like
	it was in iris heaven (which some of us up here think we are -
	we all have delusions of some sort). :)

	I have got to get CANADIAN STREAKER for sure. Too late for
	this year in my climate.

	*Rosalie, Chuck Chapman wasn't born in 1907 - but if he was,
	I want him to contact me as soon as possible. He looks great
	for that age....

	Cheers,

	Ellen (who is trying to decide whether to let the gray take
		over her hair or go the dye-job route...the dye-job
		route is winning out - wonder what Chuck C. uses?
		I want it. :)

To view the Siberian iris archives:
http://www.mallorn.com/lists/sibrob/
http://www.mallorn.com/lists/iris-photos/

Society for Siberian Irises web page:
http://w3.one.net/~wilsonjh/ssi.htm

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
For details on ONElistís NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY program, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html