Re: COMP:unnamed & lost iris

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

James Wrote:
>Betty's comments from Bowling Green about problems down the road for >those
>who dug her old unregistered seedlings was a hoot.
>It makes me realize I will probably never get a name for the clump >growing
>in my front yard.

I think the vast majority of iris growers would not care a hoot about the
names of the irises, if they are even aware that they have names. I also
believe that the vast majority of irises sold by commercial growers and
hybridisers, will have lost, or mixed up, their names within the first year.
It really only matters to hybridisers, commercial growers, and those who
show their plants, or gardens. We just have to accept that it is almost
impossible to identify something that comes to you without a name. I am
attempting to purge my garden of all un-named irises, to reduce confusion.
If I have something that I am just unsure of, I grow it in a special bed,
and identify it on flowering, but I only have 250 or so cv's. Much harder to
do this if you  have a few thousand cv's.

>One thing I did last fall was to put labels behind the rhizome, which >made
>perfect sense with a 6-8" trimmed fan, but is flat out foolish >when that
>becomes a clump of four fans 2-3 feet high.

I have been moving the labels into the open centre of the clumps. They are
much less likely to be lost, or mixed up, from there. I have just unpacked a
delivery of 100 aluminium labes, on 8" stakes, and will start replacing the
tackiest of my plastic labels with these more permanent markers.

>I also have a fair number of friends or charities that I give these
>iris too, for instance the city composting facility.............

I think I will stick with throwing my un-named plants down the back paddock.
The local composting facility sells their compost 'mix' to the public. I'm
one member of the public who buys a lot of this for my irises, and I don't
want heaps of tiny TB plants sprouting from the compost! :-)

Cheers, Jan Clark
One TB bud pushing up here (SERENE SEA - Blyth) and it's not even the end of

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
For details on ONElistís NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY program, go to