OT: A simple Y2K check - important

From: "heather & bernard pryor" <irishaven@pip.com.au>

>>>To all my friends,
>>This timely little piece of informatin was sent to me from a Scottish
friend in the USA.  It is a really valuable bit of information which I would
commend to you all.  My machine was not set up correctly, so I guess that
yours aren't either!
>>Heather Pryor.  Sydney. Australia.

have actually affirmed that your hardware is compliant, and you may even
have a little company sticker affixed to your system saying "Y2K
Compliant"... but you'll be surprised that Windows may still crash unless
you do this simple exercise below. Easy fix but something Microsoft seems to
have missed in certifying their software as Y2K compliant.
>>This is simple to do, but VERY important.
>>>  -----------------------------------------
>>>   Click on "START".
>>>   Click on "SETTINGS".
>>>   Double click on "Control Panel".
Double click on "Regional settings" icon (look for the little world globe).
>> Click on the "Date" tab at the top of the page. (last tab on the top
>> Where it says, "Short Date Sample", look and see if it shows a "two
digit" year format ("YY"). Unless you've previously changed it (and  you
probably haven't) -- it will be set incorrectly with just the two Y's..  it
needs to be four!>
>> That's because Microsoft made the 2 digits setting  the default setting
for Windows 95, Windows 98 and NT.
>>This date format selected is the date that Windows feeds *ALL* application
software and will not rollover into the year 2000. It will roll over to the
year 00. (*)
>>Click on the button across from "Short Date Style" and select the option
that shows, "mm/dd/yyyy" or "m/d/yyyy". (Be sure your selection has four y's
showing, not just "mm/dd/yy).
>>>  Then click on "Apply".
>>>   Then click on "OK" at the button.
>> Easy enough to fix. However, every "as distributed" installation of
Windows worldwide is defaulted to fail Y2K rollover... Pass this along  to
your PC buddies... no matter how much of a guru they think they are... this
might be a welcome bit of information!
>>>  END

ONElist users:  YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how.
For details, go to http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html