Re: OT:How to Misname Irises

From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)

>From: StorYlade@aol.com
>
>In a message dated 08/10/1999 9:33:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
>chris.darlington@sympatico.ca writes:
>
><< mmortality and Corn Harvest , was wondering if you had crossed the two
> of them together , this cross is on my list for next year .
>  >>
>Chris,
>
>I did make that cross.  It produced a pale yellow rebloomer and one near the
>color of Edith W.--a little paler in the standards.  Not of the most modern
>form, both produced prolific rebloom when happy.
>
>I could not bear to part with all the seedlings so I brought samples of
>around 50 with me.  Several were kept from the 94 & 95 crosses.  (My last
>years to hybridize--before this year.)  For instance, 9501-1 (and 9203-2) are
>from Bridge In Time (Glistening Icicle x Immortality) X (Feedback x Titan's
>Glory).  A strong rebloomer came from this.  Unfortunately, after heavy bloom
>for 2 springs and 1 fall bloom season it bloomed out.  Others from this cross
>are good but no rebloom.
>
>Some favorites were left in the fields.  A bitone red from Lady Friend X Earl
>of Essex was my most heartfelt loss.  Dug the wrong one.  Others were taken
>from my yard in pots as they awaited the move. (I never thought about people
>taking them . . . most of my stock of Radiant Summer disappeared.)
>
>It was fun and there are several I wish I had with me BUT I made three
>interesting crosses this spring so there is more FUN ahead.  Hummm?? Wonder
>were I can find just a little more space?  May try raising seedlings in pots!
>

>Betty Wilkerson in Bowling Green KY

>ONElist now brings ICQ Instant Messaging to members
>For details,

Dear Betty: Sorry I do not know how to get rid of parts of a message, but
want to commiederate with you on losing the Lady Friend X Earl of Essex
seedling - - a very interesting pedigree to me.  Lloyd Z in hot, sunny
Durham S>C> Two more  weeks of this heat, and then surely some respite.

ONElist:  home to the world's liveliest email communities.