Re: Cult: Fall Iris Care

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 8/14/1999 12:27:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jijones@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< Can anyone from the mid west answer the Pretxers? I don't know the
 over process for this area. >>

Well, I think I can help - since winter is winter, with snow separating the
men from the -ummm snowmen?

You should never trim iris foliage that is still healthy and green until the
first frost (here, around Halloween is safe).  And the only reason you trim
it then is because it'll get mashed down in the winter and be a mess in the

BUT, there is another school of thought that says foliage should remain in
place until very early spring - March.  Since iris borer eggs are laid on
iris foliage during late fall, you stand a better chance of destroying the
eggs if you wait till then (are there iris borer in Kansas?).

Anyway, trim the fans to a perky point.....  make sure any surrounding debris
is removed, sprinkle a little bonemeal around and you're done.    Bearded
irises are not mulched and no further care is necessary.

We DO suggest that you take a walk around whenever the ground is clear during
the winter.  Sometimes frost action can cause the irises to lose contact with
the soil.  When that happens, either step the rhizome back into contact, or
place a brick on it to keep it down.

Kathy Guest
in E. Aurora, NY

How do you enter ONElistís WEEKLY DRAWING for $100?
By joining the FRIENDS & FAMILY program.  For details, go to