CULT: Iris foetidissima variegata

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

This spring I obtained a start of Iris foetidissima variegata which I
potted up and placed out underneath a large shady maple tree, where it
receives only dappled sun.  It seems quite happy there, but I need to find
a spot to plant it in the ground.

I've heard (don't know if it's true) that variegated plants require more
sunlight than their non-variegated counterparts.  Is this true?

I really want to provide optimal culture for this plant, because I know
that it's slow to increase, and somewhat stubborn to get to flower.  I'd
love to hear what you folks suggest.

My shade garden bed is a 15 ft. x 2 ft. strip along the north side of my
house.  It never gets direct sunlight, but it is in very "bright" full
shade (if that makes sense) since there are no trees nearby.  Would this be
good?  (It would be a warmer microclimate too...not sure how cold hardy
Iris foetidissima is.)

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com

ONElist users:  YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how.
For details, go to http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html