SPEC: I. schachtii

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>I have not focused on any one type of iris, but
>have been trying to grow as much of the diversity of the genus as I >can. I
>enjoy hunting (mostly on the web) for nurseries that offer >unusual iris.
>This year I even have I. minutoaurea growing in a >trough; I hope to keep
>it alive and get it to bloom. So far it seems >to be doing okay. If you are
>interested in pictures of iris that >bloomed for me this year, I have
>them on my home page: http://home.pacbell.net/kenww.
>   Ken Walker

Welcome to the list Ken. You (or anyone else on the list?) might be able to
give me some information on I. schachtii. I have been given this plant by a
friend who is most likely to be right about the name. However, it seems a
lot smaller than I would have expected. The leaves are barely 1/2" at the
base, and only about 3" long. It has 5 flower buds at present, and these
look no bigger than any of my smaller dwarf bearded irises. The photo's and
descriptions I have seen in books suggest that this plant should be somewhat
bigger. (12" or so) I'm not sure if this means foliage growth or flower
height.
I will try and photograph it when it flowers.
Cheers, Jan Clark, in Australia, where spring is imminent, and the weeds are
doing very well thankyou.

Congrats to our GROW TO GIVE winners, ZENtertainment & ROTInews!
http://www.onelist.com
Check out ONElist's latest program, FRIENDS & FAMILY.  See homepage.