Re: CULT: Iris foetidissima variegata

From: "Paul Tyerman" <tyerman@hotmail.com>

>This spring I obtained a start of Iris foetidissima variegata which I
>potted up and placed out underneath a large shady maple tree, where it
>receives only dappled sun.  It seems quite happy there, but I need to find
>a spot to plant it in the ground.

I have mine in Afternoon sun.  Seems to be doing well.  As far as I know it
is I. foetidissima variegata..... it was sold as Iris Variegata which I know
it isn't (I. variegata has a variegated flower, not leaves), but I've had it
flower once and they were fairly non-descript browny flowers.  No seed head
though.  Does it have any other identifying factor?

Anyhow, mine grows well in the late afternoon sun, with the rest of the day
dappled by a snowball tree.

>My shade garden bed is a 15 ft. x 2 ft. strip along the north side of my
>house.  It never gets direct sunlight, but it is in very "bright" full
>shade (if that makes sense) since there are no trees nearby.  Would this be
>good?  (It would be a warmer microclimate too...not sure how cold hardy
>Iris foetidissima is.)

It is so strange to hear someone saying that the North face of their house
is the cooler side.  It is so wrong for us here in the Southern hemisphere.
There's been a few times where I've done a double take when someone has
mentioned putting up shading on the southern side of the plant.  I have to
remind myself that the rest of you out there are Northern Hemisphere people.

We get to -8'C with not hassle to the I foetidissima variegata (if it is
that).  I know that probably isn't that cold, but it might be of some help.

Cheers.          Paul Tyerman (Canbeera, Australia.  Zone 8)

How do you enter ONElistís WEEKLY DRAWING for $100?
By joining the FRIENDS & FAMILY program.  For details, go to