OT:BIO

Hello fellow IRIS-Talk subscribers.

My name is Patrick Orr and I live in Glendale, AZ (Phoenix Metro Area).  I have just joined the Iris-Talk and am writing to introduce myself.

I have just become a member of the American Iris Society and the Southern Desert Iris Society (local), but have been growing iris since I was 18 (13 years ago).

I prefer growing Tall Bearded Iris and Arilbreds.  Most of my irises have been purchased from Shepard Iris Gardens here is Phoenix, and have been hybridized by Don Shepard.

Over the years I have moved a lot, uprooting my irises at whatever-time-of-year it was and did not keep very good records of the iris I had, so most of their names have been lost.  Three years ago my partner and I bought a house, and last year was the first year I was able to create a garden bed for my irises to grow.

Surprisingly, one of the best bloomers in my garden was one I do not remember ordering.  It was
BREAKERS (Schreiner's 1986)

Anyway, I have just begun to hybridize irises myself and am looking forward to hearing from you if you have experience in this area.  This year I crossed SPLASH DANCE with MACHO HOMBRE.  Since the pod parent is broken colored lilac and Macho Hombre seems to me to be brownish purple, who know WHAT the seedlings will turn out like.  As soon as they bloom I will post them on my webpage.  Right now the seeds are planted and awaiting germination.

Now that I have been reading up on irises and have ordered back issues of AIS bulletins (1995 to current) and have read what hybridizers have written, I now have a better understanding of the genetics involved in hybridizing irises.

I am also interested in any iris images of registered or introduced irises you may have so I can post them on my website (which is currently being renovated.) It is important to include the hybridizer's name and year, and the parentage if known. I will of course be acquiring all the ones I can off the links given on AIS's website.

Many of the irises in my garden are still unidentified, but are of blooming size, so next year I should be able to identify them.  I will post pictures of them on my website when I get them.  I have also ordered several that will arrive this fall, and will have markers for them so as not to loose their identity again.

If there is anyone interested in trading irises by mail, I will also have a section for them on my website, so just drop me an email of what you have or what you wish for and I will post on the site.

BTW...Does anyone have a picture of SKY HOOKS they can email me?

I am looking forward to hearing from you and reading all the emails.  Will I ever have time for all this??? When I get the website up and running I will post the address on Iris-Talk.

Happy Gardening,
Arizona Zone 9