Re: OT: The Name Game

At 03:28 PM 8/14/99 EDT, you wrote:
>From: Irisborer@aol.com
><<Dianthus Double>>
>Isn't there some kind of commandment or something "Thou Shalt Not Use Another
>Plant's Name"??
>No disrespect intended.
>This is to say that I don't believe you can use the name of a plant when
>naming another plant.... Even if you were to name it Moby Grape.
>Or is that only effective when the plant name is the last word in the name??
>Or if the month ends in "y"
>Never mind.

Anything appears to be fair game (watch for Mike Sutton to introduce Fair Game anytime soon, go for it, Mike) so long as it isn't another iris. I've seen day lilies with the same variety names as iris, and I'm sure this goes into all other types of named plants.

As for plant names, these are the so-called "common" names, and not the official scientific names. One of my favorite iris names is Pussytoes, precisely because it reminds me of the wild flower of that name, and Dorothy tells me that is indeed where the name came from.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
Persimmon Katz
{ o o }