Re: OT: The Name Game

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

kllllllllllllllf4ww  bggg (Note: This is the first email message written by
our kitten, Tigger. You will have to ask him what it means!)
> From: James Brooks
> >From: Irisborer@aol.com]
> <<Dianthus Double>>
> >Isn't there some kind of commandment or something "Thou Shalt Not Use
> >Plant's Name"??
v acnxxxxxxxxxxx (MORE KITTEN TALK)>
> Anything appears to be fair game (watch for Mike Sutton to introduce Fair
Game anytime soon, go for it, Mike) so long as it isn't another iris. I've
seen day lilies with the same variety names as iris, and I'm sure this goes
into all other types of named plants.

It is the scientific (botanical) names of plants, not the common names or
cultivar names, that it is prohibited to use as iris names. Therefore,
DAYLILY'S ENVY or STELLA DE ORO would be legitimate iris names, but

BTW, the rules for naming irises are included in the article "How to
Register and Introduce an Iris" which may be found on page 11 of the April,
1999 AIS Bulletin.

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
For details on ONElistís NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY program, go to