Re: Re: AIS: Registration data

From: Iarejan@aol.com

In a message dated 8/15/99 2:58:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mlowe@worldiris.com writes:

<< Question: isn't 'Yosemite Sam' a cartoon character? I seem to remember
 seeing a little guy with a mustache, two six-shooters, a short temper and
 little in the way of smarts. I don't think I saw it in my days of movie
 cartoons so it must have been my kids/television. >>
Mike,
    I love that character, in fact love Looney Tunes, first baby room we did
was all the characters (for us or for the baby?).  Anyway, I was in
advertising for a long time and yes, in most cases you do need to ask
permission but it gets sketchy when the name is applied to something other
than a cartoon.   If there is no likeness of the character involved I believe
it's not as big a deal.   But if the name itself is copyrighted, separate
from the character ,then maybe it would be a problem.   We have "parody"
shirts in our store.  Now and then one will be recalled because the
originator of the style or name or whatever objects to the similarity the
item or contents of the item may have to their copyrighted material.   Many,
many companies simply go ahead with the use and wait to see if anyone objects
with a cease and desist order.   Then you just stop using the name and
nothing happens.
It's when you don't stop using the name or copyright likeness that they get
upset and further legal action is taken.

Janet Natale