Re: OT: The Name Game

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 8/15/1999 7:30:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wmoores@watervalley.net writes:

<< But, nothing will ever top 'Isle of Nuns' for ILA NUNN, not even
 'Dusty Challenger.' >>

You should hear how my friend, Peter, pronouces David Schreiner's BLACK BUTTE.

I did an interview of Sterling Innerst once (on paper.... asked him questions
and he answered in writing).  He is the champion of iris names, IMHO.  I
asked him who he chose names from mythology and literature that confused
people so.  He said that he's been accused of doing that for amusement - but
that actually, he did it to educate and stimulate.  And he concluded by
saying he intended to continue.

Love Sterling!

And then there's Japanese Iris, with the (oh, what a shock) Japanese names.
I love the iris, but sound moronic trying to tackle the names.

Kathy Guest in
E. Aurora, NY..... who appreciated her irises a kazillion times over when she
set herself to dividing daylilies for the upcoming daylily sale.  Yikes!

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.