HIST: Request for Sources

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: PWeixl@aol.com
> So my question is I need
> to find appropriate iris for this site by September 1. The dates of
> are 1835-1875. Can anyone help with either a list of varieties available
> this era and does anyone have any available for either purchase or
> towards this project? I would think we would need 3 rhizomes of each
> and about 15-18 different iris. Please help, I am regrettably Historic
> illiterate. Thanks Peter Weixlmann, Region 2, WNYIS

You might consider Superstition Iris Gardens (Rick Tasco and Roger Duncan)
as a source for the irises you are seeking. The rhizomes they ship are top
quality, and in my experience, reliably true-to-name.

In the time period you are interested in they list the following cultivars
in their 1999 catalog: Chenedolle (1872), Faustine (1859), Honorabile
(1840), Lavandulacea (1854), Madame Chereau (1844), Mexicana (1859),
Othello (1848), and Queen of May (1859).

The last day they will accept orders for shipment this year is August 21.
Their email address is randrcv@ sierratel.com.

You might want to consider some of the older irises, too, such as
Germanica, Florentina, Neglecta, Swertii, and Pallida Dalmatica, as I am
not sure how quickly the new introductions of the mid-nineteenth century,
all of which originated in Europe, became widely available in this country.