Re: Re: CULT:potted rz progress

At 03:32 PM 8/16/99 EDT, you wrote:
>From: Iarejan@aol.com
>HI all,
> Just a little report of amazement at how well some of those delivered
>early andpotted up rhizomes are doing...this is first year I've done this...
> Leading the pack with amazing increases and growth, in the pot, after only
> Others establishing well but these 5 just got potted and POW, they took
>BTW, used Walter Moore's method of potting up rz, thank you Walter!!
>Janet Natale
>Zone 8 of SC

Let me second that. I'm just starting to plant new beds, and am putting out some of my shave-root potted children from two weeks ago. One thing I noted when they were in the nursery is that they stay moist almost forever, because there aren't any roots to soak up the moisture. The watering I did give them was just a very quick pass to get the surface moist, period.
In laying out the beds, even if the pots haven't done their required two weeks yet, you can just set the pot where you want the plant to go and give it a day or two of direct sunlight, just like in the garden shows.
Last night I planted some of Beach Girl - one I had just about sold out of by commenting to visitors that it looks like a blond with a tan - and some of the new roots were all the way down to the bottom of the pot. It really does work as advertised.
Speaking of roots, in digging up irises for division, ones planted only last year have sent out huge root systems during this dry year, to the point they are intertangled with their neighbors 18" or so away. Partially lack of rain, and also perhaps that the rototiller goes down only about five inches or so, meaning that the nature of irises to spread horizontally is further enhanced.
My main Dykes bed is apparently all fill dirt for some reason I cannot fathom, being out in a pasture, and is like red adobe, really inhibiting root growth. I'm going to work in a lot of compost on that one when I redig it this year, not just the rough mulch on top.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
Persimmon Katz
{ o o }