Re: HIST needed

At 06:12 PM 8/16/99 EDT, you wrote:
>From: PWeixl@aol.com
>
>The Amherst Library and museum is a collection of Victorian era buildings
>with authentic gardens and grounds. They have approached our local iris
>society about donating iris for this project. The grounds are open to the
>public and have a lot of activity at them through out the year. There plan is
>to put a 3 foot wide by 15 feet long iris display bed in and the Western New
>York Iris Society will pay for and supply the iris. So my question is I need
>to find appropriate iris for this site by September 1. The dates of interest
>are 1835-1875. Can anyone help with either a list of varieties available from
>this era and does anyone have any available for either purchase or donation
>towards this project? I would think we would need 3 rhizomes of each variety
>and about 15-18 different iris. Please help, I am regrettably Historic Iris
>illiterate. Thanks Peter Weixlmann, Region 2, WNYIS

Dear Peter:
Check out the list of historics grown at the Malone Hollow Nature Center at:
http://www.Historic-Jonesborough.com/iris/
Of course any species iris, such as Iris germanica would also qualify. Hybridized introductions, probably beginning with Honorabile, go right to the beginning of your period.
Send me a line, off list, of what you'd like, and if I have them in sufficient quantities I'll be glad to donate for the cost of postage and handling.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net
Webmaster: