Re: HYB: REB: heredity of rebloom traits

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>From: "Patrick Orr" <PatrickJOrr@hotmail.com>
>I haven't seen anyone reply to this question yet, so I will attempt to (even
>though I am not experienced at reblooming iris).
>You will find your answers in the April and July 1997 article on rebloom by
>Don Spoon.
>In a nutshell, as I recall it, remontancy (rebloom) is allowed when the
>chemical that tells the rhizome to go dormant is either inhibited greatly or
>partially.  Therefore, as long as the weather is right, the rhizome will
>produce bloom.  In many areas, that is twice or thrice a year.

Don Spoon's excellent articles make good reading, but I think you are
misrepresenting them a bit.  As I recall (and I haven't re-read them), Don
was simply proposing a theory of rebloom that could be tested in various
ways.  He didn't have an solid evidence that in fact rebloom was due to a
hormonal change in the plant, although that idea is more than plausible.
In fact, one thing against the theory is the observation that rebloomers
eventually do go dormant in the winter after all.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (804)223-6374

Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.